Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I'm Possible!!

I'm PossibleOne year ago today I turned 30.  I was ending my 6 week unpaid maternity leave from my corporate job.  I was absolutely dreading the thought of leaving my new baby with a nanny so I could sit at my cubical.  I cried and cried.

Back at work I was virtually useless for the first week.  All I could think about was calling to check on her every 5 seconds, and sleep!  But I 'had to be at my desk'.  That was important to my company.

What was important to me was my family.  My brand new baby girl was changing every day...and little did I know would continue to do so...indefinitely!

I was actually told by the company's HR Manager that working from home with a baby is impossible and I'll enjoy the time away from her.  She was a mother of 2, I was a new mom.  I actually listened to her and thought I was wrong.

No.  She was wrong.  I missed my baby girl tremendously and hated the time away from her.   I hated people asking me about my daughter that I only saw when she was sleeping.  "Don't you just love being a new mom?"  I would cry on the inside thinking, I'm not loving any of it because I'm missing all of it!!!

It was then I knew...if I didn't act right now, I would only continue to miss more.  You can't get more time; you can't get those moments back.

It was then that I concretely decided to take my life into my own hands.  I decided to do whatever it would take to build a better life for myself and my new family.  Nothing would stop me.  The time was now!

I also knew I couldn't do that alone.  I looked at different home based franchise opportunities for support.  I looked at coaching, marketing,  property management  health & wellness, cleaning, you name it!  They all required financial investments larger than I had and 100% of my time (more than I had).

Previously I had been introduced to the Virtual UnFranchise System of Market America.  I revisited the concept.  The investment was very affordable, it required about 10 hours of time a week in no set schedule  and I was fully supported by a local network of entrepreneurs.

Leveraging the resources of the MA Webcenters division, I launched New Solutions Websites and started offering website design and marketing consulting to local businesses.  I made some strategic alliances with community leaders and was quickly building a client base.

I was physically at work during the day but mentally, I was focused on building my new marketing business.

I scheduled client calls at lunch.  While coworkers updated their social media statuses complaining about work, I updated mine about my business.  At night, I would spend a few hours with my daughter and then once she was asleep, I would work on my business.  Nothing was going to stop me.  The time was now, or I would only continue to lose time.

Six months later, I had bags the size of Texas under each eye, and my business was taking off.

I wasn't even exhausted - I was exhilarated!  I was investing my time, rather than simply trading it for a paycheck.

My job was no longer my primary source of income.  It was, however, my primary source of pain, and now my greatest expense as I had to pay for daycare in order to be at my desk!

The time had come.  The time to have my time. I left my corporate life on Friday, August 3rd 2012!!

That weekend I was terrified, second guessing myself, nauseous - it was awful. Change is scary!!!  Monday came around, and I had clients to call, emails to send, diapers to change and Barney to watch!  It all made sense very quickly, and it's only gotten better with each day!

Today, Tuesday, February 5th, 2013, I celebrate my 31st birthday at home with my family!  The best gift I gave myself is time freedom and the promise of a better tomorrow.  Time to spend with my daughter, time to spend with my family, time to spend doing whatever it is I want to do!

I spent my day working from my kitchen table, having conference calls with my own clients, interviewing account managers for my own business and prospecting new clients with my 13 month old dancing to the Sprout channel in the background....and yes, I joined in the dancing too...while on calls!  :)

One year ago I thought the only time I would see my daughter would be sending her to daycare or on weekends.  One year ago I never thought this would be possible.  I was told it was impossible.

Today, I know anything is possible.  Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says, it, "Im possible!"  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment