Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Leaving was the best thing I ever did!

Did you ever walk out of an interview?
I did.
And it was THAT awesome!
I’ll never forget it. I was interviewing for an inside sales job (phones, account manager, order taking stuff).
The guy I would be working for was conducting the interview.
Think of the movie Office Space.... Ummm, yeahhhh...
The whole time I'm telling myself, "You can do this. You won’t interact with him that much. This is a good company. You'll move up quickly. This is a good opportunity.” 
{feeding myself complete bs.}
Then he says… “So, sell me this pen.”
He passes me a ball point pen from across the table.
“You want me to sell you this pen.” 
I take the pen. I look at the pen. I roll the pen on my fingers.
“You want me to sell you this pen?” 
Just checking. I want to make sure I heard him right.
“Um, yeah. Sell me the pen.”
And that’s when it happened.
No way in hell could I work for this guy.
NO WAY IN HELL could I be a pen sales lady robot weirdo.
No way in hell could I sit there, in that office, for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year in an environment that supports stupid interview questions from the office space guy.
Now, you might say, Liz that’s harsh.
Maybe. But listen.
We all have our a-ha moments of clarity through pain or pleasure.
This one for me came through pain, which ended in so much pleasure.
{Deep breath}
“I just don’t think this is going to work. This is not going to be the right job for me. I’m sorry to have wasted your time. Can you please show me out?”
I don’t remember my feet touching the floor as I bounced out of that office and that corporation. That was the MOST LIBERATING & EMPOWERING thing I had done since Spring Break 2008 (that story will come another day.)
I listened to myself. I heard the bs I was telling myself was just that, bs.
And in spite of myself, I heard the truth.
I KNEW that was the wrong job for me.
I KNEW that was the wrong environment for me.
I KNEW that was the wrong opportunity for me
I heard myself, and I TRUSTED MY GUT.
That was one of the first times I listened to myself, and took decisive action FOR myself!


YOUR TURN!
Share with me in the comments below:  tell me about a time you’ve heard and trusted your gut - in business or in life.
What was the best part about it?
What was the scariest thing about it?
Why does that memory stick with you?
Can’t wait to hear what you have to say! 
If you’re coming across this for the first time, make sure you sign up in the far box at the bottom to receive the weekly freemails.  
In the meantime, I look forward to seeing how you will maximize your value with what you learned in today’s article!
Till next time!!
Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment