Thursday, August 7, 2014

Do you suffer from a false sense of busy?

Up until yesterday, I had a Facebook Group for Soulful Entrepreneurs.
Up until yesterday, because yesterday, I shut it down.
Here's why:
I had a conversation with a fellow entrepreneur yesterday morning. We were discussing people who do their own websites, business cards etc and how it gives them a false sense of 'business' and puts a false sense of what's important as a new business owner on their mind.
We agreed that it's best to wait on certain things in your business until one is in a financial position to invest in having certain things done professionally.
So why did I close the Soulful Entrepreneur FaceBook Group?
For the very same reason that I will talk new-preneurs out of a website more than I'll encourage them to have one!
I wasn't investing in it.
I wasn't maintaining it.
I wasn't directing people to it.
I was hoping people would find it and be drawn to it and keep it alive.
I didn't have a solid, or even loose marketing plan for it.
And there was nothing about it that was tied back to my profits.
It was creating a false sense of busy that added items to my to-do list, but didn't add anything to my bank balance.
When you're starting, especially when you're starting (and by starting I mean under 5 years) you're being cautious with your resources, (another word for currencies).
Remember, there are several forms of currency. The one we think most about is money, but they also include your time, energy and your efforts.
This false sense of busy was ultimately causing more harm than good.
So how do you get out of this business busy-ness trap so you can start earning more by working on the right things?
I created a little math formula:     Recognize + Decide + Do = Result
In numbers:      50% + 45% + 5% = 100%! 
Step 1) Recognize you're in it.
You know the saying, 'you can not change that which you don't acknowledge.'  Having the ability to fully know that you are in something, or doing something that you don't like is half of the battle.
Step 2) Decide.
Work through the mental resistance and get to the point of absolute concrete no-going-back decision.  This is the mental clutter that is creating sub/unconscious patterns and behaviors that are keeping you perpetuating more of what you don't want.  Deciding to change those patterns, deciding to adopt new ones, deciding to accept the willingness to do something differently, thats 45% of this change equation.
Step 3) Do something different.
Contrary to popular belief, the action is the easy part.  Once your mind is made up, the body follows.  Only 5% of this equation is action oriented. 
INVEST + CHOOSE WISELY. What you focus on expands. If you focus on business busy work, you'll get more of it. If you focus on getting clients, you'll get more of them. And if you focus on money, you'll get more of that.

Share in the comments below where you feel this false sense of urgency creeping in and what ONE thing you're going to do TODAY to course correct!
Can’t wait to hear what you have to say!
Peace & Love,Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment